Saturday, April 14, 2012

seven years...

Seven years ago today my dad's spirit took flight.

I got the call at about 6 a.m. He was gone. As I called into work to report what I knew would be several days of absence, I began to shake. Not because he was gone really. More because I knew what I would be walking into when I arrived at my parent's home.

He was still in his chair. It looked like he was sleeping. My mom had just woken up and my aunts were telling her he was gone. He'd waited until she went to bed before he left. She was not amused.

I can still see the image of her kneeling next to his chair; her head against his; talking quietly to him. If I were an artist, I would draw it so others could see the tenderness I saw.

It was just about the only beautiful moment of the whole experience.

My family began arriving and anyone who knows them knows it wasn't a good thing. Ah well, many years have passed since then and my mom is gone too. I don't miss him. I just remember.

There is a new song by R.ascal F.latts called "Chang.ed". It has gotten me thinking alot about that time seven years ago and I want to write about it. I hope I will. But not today.

Peace.

No comments:

Post a Comment